11.29.2012

I'm baaaack!

I realize it's been awhile since I posted.  I just needed a little break.  Parenting itself is a challenge, but with a kiddo like Jackson, there are days I feel like I'm at my wit's end.  But, then he goes and does something totally amazing and it's worth it.

Where to start?  Sleeping.  Still not great, still waking up at 3-4 am with Jackson and Monkey George in bed with us.  He's been sick the past week and he's been sleeping well, but still making the nightly trek down the hall.

Eating.  Meh.  Good days and bad days.  We're still tubing him three times a day and giving him whatever solid food he will eat.  He's totally on a waffle kick.  The only caveat: they must be hexagonal.  Eggo makes these lovely hexagon-shaped waffles.  Circles?  Never.  Squares?  Blasphemy.  On the weekend trip to Grandma and Grandpa's, the store only had circle-shaped waffles.  I bought them knowing it could get ugly.  I brought them home, he refused to eat them.  I tried cutting one into to hexagon and one into a trapezoid.  No dice.  Occasionally, he will ask for toast and Sunbutter, but mainly eats only things dry and crunchy.

Behavior.  This is been the most challenging thing lately.  He's coffee bombed the kitchen more than once, dumps the cat's food daily and uses Cheerios as confetti.  He hates sitting the chair to be pumped, yeah, it's boring, but I try to keep him entertained.  It has to be done.  He will buck the chair and scream to get out. It's been like having a toddler for 8 years.

Now for the good stuff!  HE'S READING!!  This child loves books, words and spelling more than anything.  We stroll through Target T-A-R-G-E-T and spell all the words at the top of the endcaps.  On the next visit, he remembers those words and reads them back to me.  Wow.  He brings home a little book every night from school and can read them to me, no problem.  Simply incredible.  It's interesting to me because once he learns a new word, he knows it.  I don't think he is learning phonetically, I never hear him attempting to sound out a new word.  After I teach him the word and spell it a few times, he's got it.

His vocabulary is steadily increasing and he is using more descriptive works and pronouns.  He's slowly phasing out the "Bob Dole" speech.

He's writing novel words on his own!  J has his own unique handwriting, but when he tells me what the word is, I can totally see it.  I got him a really cool little gadget called a Boogie Board for Christmas.  It's an electronic writing tablet that erases at the touch of a button.  I see a lot of trapezoid drawing in my future.  I like it because it uses a stylus and not a finger like the iPad.  Nice writing utensil practice!

Jameson is totally loving school.  He's met the girl of his dreams and they are planning to get married and live with us.  So nice to have your life planned out at 4!  The girl's sister came up to me on the playground and said, "My sister is totally in love with Jameson.....like, seriously."  Oh to be young again!

Jameson is doing Tae Kwon Do and loving it.  He got his white belt and broke a board with one hit.  Jackson, naturally, hates it because it's very loud.

I guess that's all I got for now. 

Object du Jour:  Trapezoids and plastic letters.  "What da word say?" is a phrase I hear a lot when he's laid out RTCG on the floor.

No comments: