8.02.2009

If I had a nickel...

for every time some said, "I just don't know how you do it"; I'd be a very wealthy chick. They also have a tendency to give "the look with the head tilt." Special needs parents will know what I mean. It's a mixture of pity and thank God it isn't me or my child. My standard answers are: "I just do" or "I do what I have to do and I'm sure you would do the same thing." I've been starting to tell people, "I don't know how parents of 'typical' kids do it, they're a lot harder than J." Because in all reality, Jameson is harder than J in some ways. He gets into a ton more trouble than J ever did! He keeps me on my toes! Granted, feeding him is easier. I chop up whatever we're having, toss it on his tray and he goes to town.

I didn't choose to have a child with a disability; I'd like to think he chose me. There are days when I don't feel like going to yet another appointment or battling with him during a meal, or worrying about how much weight he's gained/lost or whether or not someone touched the cart at Target with peanut butter fingers, but the second you have a child (with or without a disability), it isn't about you any more.

J's birthday party was lots of fun yesterday! And, the cake turned out better than I hoped. He loves his Handy Manny tools and fix-it truck, his new Cars backpack for school (because what self-respecting JK kid would be caught dead with a Wiggles backpack) and Matchbox Tornado track! The favorite toy of the day was the cool Step 2 Playhouse from Grandma and Grandpa O. I'll post pics when I get them off of the camera.

Jameson now knows how to wink. It's hysterical. He'll bust out a two-eyed, wrinkled nose wink when I'm reprimanding him for something. This kid knows how to work his mama!

J2 has also starting calling any body of water, "rah-rah." Say it out loud and trill the r's, that's exactly how he says it. How that started, I have no clue, but it's super cute!

Daddy drove Grandma and Grandpa L. back to their house and took J2 along for the ride. Jackson and I went to Target and got the rest of his school supplies and spent the afternoon playing with the Playhouse, big sink and sidewalk chalk.

We are now officially on the list for the autism waiver. We don't need to do all the preliminary stuff because we did it all to get J Medicaid through the Katie Beckett waiver. So, the caseworker will make a home visit and then she said it will be about a 9 month wait for the funding to actually begin. Really not as bad as I expected; however the insurance funding bill the governor signed will only cover state employees initially (bummer), so we'll have to wait awhile for that. The waiver will cover 20-40 hours per week of in-home ABA therapy and once we get the waiver, they'd like us to receive the services for a minimum of one year. I'm interested to see how this works and how it will help J.

Whoa, I guess I had a lot to say today!

Object du Jour: Flicker, Handy Manny's flashlight and the singing birthday card from Grandma and Grandpa O. that sings "Great Balls of Fire!" lol

No comments: