8.19.2010

Night at the Chateau, v.398954987.2

Monday night at dinner, things were totally fine. Jackson started talking in this funny deep voice and then laughing at himself. I thought he was just being silly. Less than a minute later, he said he wanted to throw up in the garbage. I got him out of his chair and he threw up. Literally, seconds later, he couldn't breathe.

The poor guy would try to take a breath in and when he couldn't, he'd panic and run to the other side of the house yelling, "Gotta go to the hopstible." I called a neighbor (thanks, Lisa!) to take Jameson and J and I ran to Children's. He really freaked me out in the car because he was glassy-eyed and staring. He wouldn't (couldn't) talk to me.

We get to Children's, no spots in the ER lot. Dinnertime on a Monday must be primetime. I literally pulled up to the door, scooped him out and left the car right where it was. (Thankfully, the nurse gave my keys to a valet who moved it for me.) That same nurse heard how hard J was working to breathe and took us right back to a room.

The doctor came in and said that J must be having an allergic reaction or choking and she wanted to do an x-ray. I knew that it looked and sounded like all of our previous visits, although it came on faster than any other time I can remember. I don't think he had actually eaten anything yet, anyway. I asked her to do the epi and steroids first and then if he still needed it, we could do the x-ray.

J didn't fight the mask at all this time. I think he knew how much he needed it. About an hour after the mask and 'roids, he was almost back to normal, with a bit of croupy-type cough and a tiny bit of wheezing. They made us stay a full four hours after the treatment to make sure he didn't need another one. My fingers were crossed that he didn't need another one because Daddy is in Lamptop (Atlanta) for the week and Jameson would've had to stay at the neighbor's with J's admission.

We watched Elmo and Madagascar while waiting to go home. J kept asking for Cars, but they didn't have it.

Thankfully, the rest of the week (so far) has been much quieter. Except for this exact moment where Pete and Repeat are fighting over serving dish lids. Really.

Object du Jour: Microwavable serving dish lids. Whatever works, I guess.

No comments: