5.19.2010

Syttende Mai, Earphones, First Naughty Note and My Soapbox.


Let's start with the fun stuff!

This past weekend we went to the Syttende Mai festival in Daddy's hometown. There's a parade, rides, craft fair, food and music. The parade part always concerns me for Jackson. He spent last year huddled under a blanket sobbing. This year, he watched every single second, commented on what he saw and talked about going back ASAP. The difference? The sound blocking earphones I bought a few months ago. They've been practicing wearing them at school, so when I first busted them out at the parade, J said, "Fire drill?"

New foods this past week include: Kettle Corn and bacon. J has been really rockin' the toast lately. Yay!

J came home from school yesterday with his first "naughty note." I guess at the band/chorus concert (which he thoroughly enjoyed while wearing the earphones, btw), he pulled a girl's hair. When the teacher told him not to do it, he did it again. Stinker! I read the note and had a little chat with him about being nice to our friends. He took it all in and turned to me and said, "Dot Com!" Glad he was listening and thinking about his behavior. The teacher said the girl wasn't upset, but hopefully, it won't happen again.

And now for the Soapbox portion of the program...Nothing bothers me more than to hear people refer to people with special needs as a special needs child or a Downs child or an autistic child. These kids are kids, first and foremost. You wouldn't say a cancer child or a heart defect child or chromosomal disordered child. Jackson is an adorable little boy who happens to have a diagnosis. The diagnosis does not define who he is as a person. I know I've posted something to this effect before, but it's worth repeating.

Object du Jour: The Yo Gabba Gabba pieces and parts.

No comments: