2.26.2010

A snake says, "FFFFFFFF"

Jackson has been playing a letter fishing game at school. He came home and talked about it non-stop. I asked his teacher about the game and she told me where it came from. When I looked into buying it, it turns out the game would be over 50.00 with shipping. Yikes! So I went to the local teacher store and improvised my own game. I bought a bucket of giant magnetic letters and we made our own fishing poles and it came out to less than 20.00.

But, the whole point of this is to say that I'm amazed/shocked/thrilled at how many letters he knows! And, not only that, but he knows about half of the letter sounds! For the first time, I actually feel like J could learn to read! I've been showing him how to sound out words (like Black Pepper on the infamous pepper box). He seems to somewhat understand it!

I showed him the letter F and asked him what it says. He said, "FFFFFF, like a snake." He just brought me a D and said, "D for Daddy." Holy cow! Who is this kid? We've got post its everywhere with words on them that he's asked me to write. We've got a long way to go, but I'm optimistic we'll get there!

Off to Grandma and Grandpa's on Saturday and Sunday and then to the Kalahari Sun-Tues. Can't wait!

Object du Jour: Letters, post its and words!

No comments: