8.07.2011

So how old is Jameson's younger brother?

I knew it was coming someday, but that didn't make it any easier. We were at a friend's party last night and there was a woman there who had met Jameson before, but not Jackson. I don't blame her at all; Jameson is a filled-out kid, who's a bit tall for his age. Jackson is my skinny little minnie boy.

I wish I had a quarter for every eyebrow that shoots to the sky when I answer the question, "How old is he?" Again, I knew it was coming...

Jackson turned 7 on the 30th! How did that happen? He finished summer school the day before and we've been running every day since. We had a birthday party at Grandma and Grandpa's and Jackson had a awesome Thomas the Train cake (which he refused to try.) We finally decided to get an iPad and download the apps they use at school. It was expensive, but if it helps him, I'm all for it!

He loves staying in hotels and swimming in the pool! We've been to parties, the air show at a friend's condo, State Fair and the Mall of America. He has now gotten to the point where he takes it (mostly) in stride. We've haven't used the ear phones at all this summer!

And, (for me) one of the biggest steps forward has been eating in restaurants! We had gotten to a point that if we wanted to eat out, we had to bring it home. I think restaurants were sensory overload for J. We've eaten out a few times recently and he's done really well!

Now, on the flip side, some things are still pretty rough:

Eating. We've really had to up his intake at night because during the day it's really been a fight. He's decided he won't eat if my toe nail polish, the mole on my arm or the scar on my leg are visible. We've tried having Daddy to feed him, but he wants me to do it. Bit 'o manipulation going on, I think.

The car seat clip. He unbuckles the top clip of his car seat and gets his arms out to try to reach things around him. On the recent trip to MN, I can't tell you how many times I had to climb into the back to buckle him back in. I got some ideas from another parent to try; I'll report back.

Wandering. If Jackson sees an open garage door or something else he wants, he leaves. He scares me to death because he doesn't show any fear about losing us. At the party last night in a friend's backyard, Jackson saw a neighborhood full of open garage doors. Randy and I had to tag team to keep him where he was supposed to be.

Because of the wandering, I've been trying to get Jackson to wear a medic alert bracelet. I got it from a running store online. http://www.roadid.com/ These bracelets are meant for runners in case of emergency. I went with this bracelet because it was less expensive, more adjustable and I could put more information on it. Sounds lovely, right? He won't wear it. Freaks out! Sooo, I found another company called http://www.tigtagz.com/ The nice thing about these is that they are disposable, like paper bracelets at the hospital and they have monkeys on them (score!) He's not thrilled about wearing it, but he tolerates it. I made it super simple, the top line says, "I have special needs" and the next two lines are my cell and Randy's cell. I even put one on Jameson at State Fair and crossed out the top line. I told Jameson if he gets lost, to find a mommy and show her his bracelet.

Genetics this week. Can't wait for Dr. B to see how much progress J has made in the last two years!

For Heidi: http://www.sunbutter.com/ :)

Object du Jour: Fruit crisps! J loves dried fruit from http://www.brothersallnatural.com/ (it's the blog of links today!) I found some at the grocery store last night and when I showed the bag to J he whispered, "Fruit crisps." I just wish they had more calories in them!

No comments: