6.30.2009

So this girl walks into a Walgreens...

I go to Walgreens today to pick up J's last prescriptions before we switch things over. (Different Walgreens, not the one from last week).

I get in the car after getting the prescriptions and randomly decide to open the bag and look to make sure they gave me the correct thing. Nope. It's 3 vials of selenium that need to be administered intravenously, not through the g-tube. The Prevacid was correct, so they were 1 for 2.

I go back in and explain to the pharmacist that we got a liquid in a red prescription bottle and the med doesn't go in a vein, it goes into his g-tube. She said it doesn't come in a syrup, "This must be what they did"...and she whips out a pair of needle nose pliers and pries the top off of one of the vials and pours it in a bottle. I'm slightly shocked, hoping that this stuff is safe to give to J through his tube. A male pharmacist comes by and says, "No, there's an easier way"...he whips out a pair of his own pliers and rips the top off the vial and the top part of the glass. It spills liquid and glass down his lab coat; he then mumbles something about "superhuman strength" and wanders away. I'm biting my lip partly out of frustration and partly to keep from laughing. I'm waiting for Ashton Kutcher to jump out and tell me I've been Punked or Allen Funt to tell me I'm on Candid Camera. (A reference for everyone!)

The first pharmacist says, "Oh no, I don't think we have any more vials." She rummages around and finds another vial, successfully opens it and the one remaining from the original three (no superhuman strength necessary) and puts a label on the bottle and hands it to me. She tells me to make sure to remind them to pour the vials into a big bottle before giving it to me next time. I smile and nod, hoping that the CVS or Walmart or Target or Pick N Save pharmacy will make my life just a little bit easier, less comical, but easier.

Oh, but before I walked away, the pharmacist asked me if a I needed a syringe to administer the medication. *forehead slap* Doh.

Object du Jour: Two game cards from our Kalahari vacation. I wonder if there's still any money left on them?

No comments: