7.07.2009

The A word...

So after the 3 weeks of testing at the PINT clinic, the results were given to us yesterday. Jackson is autistic. It's like everything changed and nothing changed in one sentence. I've known in my heart of hearts for a long time, but until I heard it out loud, it didn't really exist. If I don't say anything, maybe no one else will notice. It's like a sucker punch you see coming, it doesn't hurt any less because your eyes were open.

I'm choosing to look at this as a positive thing. Instead of floating along alone in the trisomy world, we now belong to a club with millions of members. I'm hoping that we can better help Jackson with information and support from both the trisomy and autism worlds. I guess now I just need to learn the secret handshake.

I've left a message with someone at the WI Early Autism Project in the hopes that we can get him enrolled in ABA therapy to better help him function in the world. I haven't heard back yet, but I'm optimistic.

We'll get through this. Somehow we always do. Jackson is still the same sweet, funny, lovable, incredibly awesome kid he was Monday morning. The news Monday afternoon didn't make him into a different person.

Object du Jour: The "thermometer downstairs". Still haven't figured that one out yet.

2 comments:

thegradiz said...

Just keep continuing what you are doing:

being great parents.

The love you give the J-man will get you through anything.

And I'll always be a supporter of my little pal.

The Ketcham Family said...

I know that has got to be so hard to hear, but it sounds like your family has the right attitude about it. You're right too. A diagnosis can open up new doors for funding, information, support, and the like. I admire your candor and positive spirit!

Laura, Drew's mom (inv dup 12p)