5.23.2009

The PINT Clinic

At J's IEP meeting last week, we talked a lot about how he handles sensory input whether it be auditory, visual, physical, etc. He's still having a really hard time with sounds and movement and it seems to have gotten worse with the class size increasing. He seems to be anxious and worried about what is coming. His "fight or flight" response seems to be engaged the second I drop him off at school. But, I see it in other environments too, for example we can't go to restaurants at all any more. The main concern I have about these behaviors is that he will be integrated into JK in the fall, which will have twice as many kids as his current classroom. I don't know how he will handle that. His teacher suggested the PINT clinic at the Medical College. (That stands for Preschool and Infant Neuropsychological Testing.)

I called J's Behavioral Psych from the feeding team and he thinks a visit to PINT couldn't hurt. He did say that they only do diagnostics, no treatment. And, if the behaviors are anxiety related, they don't prescribe meds there. He was also trying to figure out if J's issues/behaviors are learned, sensory, or something deeper. The Dr. also said that the feeding team now has an OT to address sensory issues and he has asked her to call me on Tuesday.

After being bounced back and forth between Children's and the Med College, I finally got the appointments made. I didn't realize how intensive it is. Four 2 hour appointments over 4 weeks. The first and last are just me and Daddy and the second one is J and Daddy and the third is J and me. So, we'll be there every Monday from the second week of June to the first week of July. I'm nervous, but I want to do anything we can to help J function to the best of his ability without stress.

Jackson will also be starting summer school June 22nd. He'll get Ed, OT, and PT. No ST because we decided that his intelligibility is good, he just need to increase his sentence length and they can address that within the classroom. I'm happy that he's going again this summer. I think that the consistency is really important for him.

Object du Jour: Daddy's Marriott Rewards catalog. It contains most excellent pictures of computers, cameras, TVs and all things electronic and rectangular!

No comments: